Here at Charlton Furniture, we love wood! Bedroom, dining room, media centers, end and cocktail tables (known as “case goods”) come in a prism of beautiful finishes and can last a lifetime or longer when cared for properly.
- Try to maintain a room temperature between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep furniture away from direct sunlight, which can cause finishes to fade or even crack. Don’t ever store furniture in damp conditions.
- Dust furniture regularly and wipe moisture away with a clean cloth. When necessary, dampen cloth with a solution of mild soap and water, then dry thoroughly. We also carry several wood care products that we have found effective -ask your sales consultant!
- However, NO cleaning products should be used on wood within the first 6 months of ownership!!! This allows the finish to fully cure and will help it look beautiful longer.
- Use coasters for both hot and cold beverages. Tablecloths and placemats are a great way to add color and texture to your dining room while protecting your table top. ALWAYS use a trivet or thick cloth under hot serving dishes!
- Don’t lean back in chairs or use tables as footrests. (Your mother was right!)
- Let wood surfaces breathe: Rotate accessories – especially within the first 3 month (see manufacturer specifications) Don’t cover or expose furniture to plastic or leather for extended periods of time.
- Place felt pads under lamps and accessories and at the contact points for electronics or anything that sits on a wood surface.
- Avoid contact with anything that may stain, imprint or damage wood. Nail polish and markers are obvious culprits, but scented oils are a secret enemy; spraying air freshener over your wood surface can cause tiny discolored dots. Spilling of candle wax or plug-in air fresheners will cause difficult-to-repair damage.
- Be sure to lift, not drag your furniture when moving items around the room. (Be nice to your floors, too!)
- If you are unsure about a stain or damage, seek professional help.